Thursday, September 13, 2007

broadway is grand...

ok. in chorus, we're singing broadwat songs. we have Phantom songs and songs from Wicked, The Music Man, Grease, and Les Miserables. We have songs such as "There's No Business Liek Show Business," "On Broadway," "Anything Goes," "Edelweiss," "Thoroughly Modern Millie," and "Why We Sing." Needless to say, i have a lot of songs running through my head and it's no wonder that i'm randomly belting out show tunes. I love singing, i really do, despite the fact that my voice is just "pretty." but i'm not really supposed to be singing. my throat is very odd. i have to have a drink with me nearly all the time, but i can't drink water (flavored water [in small sips] and ice-water being the only exceptions), milk (i can, oddly enough, drink half-and-half), and most juices. not only that, but i have a lot of difficulty singing lower than a D. because i have so many problems with my throat, i was advised not to take chorus. but i love singing, so i did anyway.
you know, we're singing a medley of Phantom of the Opera songs and there are quite a number of solos available in it. i'm thinking of trying for this one, but i'm not too sure. in fact, i'll be debating the matter for quite some time. But anyway...my favorite song, i think (besides Phantom), is "Foor Good," from Wicked.
actually, chorus is a lot harder than most people think. it's almost like being in band, but you have to learn how to properly relax your throat, how to properly articulate words, how to breathe properly, and how to pronounce things (because, believe it or not, 50+ people with southern accents just don't sound good when sound travels a while. vowels tend to get over exaggerated). and then there's the fact that there is always one person who is completely tone deaf and they always seem to sit either right behind me or to the side of me. and they think they're the best singer in the choir.
you know, the real reason i'm in chorus is for the christmas songs. i love christmas carols. my favorites are "The Coventry Carol" and "A Christmas Song;" they're just so pretty. this is also the reason why i'm only in chorus for the first semester. i can barely tolerate most of the spring music.
you know, on most days, i have up to three songs playing in my head but it seems that, in chorus, they're always at least five. which gets very confusing, by the way. luckily, to preserve my sanity, one song normally plays over the others and i hum it to myself every now and then (the only bad thing is that i'm normally stuck with some odd little nursery rhyme like "Ring Around the Rosie" or "Ba Ba Black Sheep" in my head during tests). And then there are the stories and poems just sitting there, brewing in the back of my mind. Needless to say, my brain is hardly ever quiet (or seems to function correctly).
well, enough. i must move on...

No comments: